Sunday, July 10, 2011

Once was lost but now is found

 Last month I fixed up my very old bicycle so I could ride it for the summer. I had it fixed and was riding it for like two weeks when it got stolen right off my porch. I went to ride it to work one morning and it was gone. Since it was so old I didn't feel heartbroken about it but I was upset it was gone. Two days ago I felt like I needed to visit a friend in the ward so I walked around looking for her apartment and I couldn't find exactly where it was. I turned the corner to go home and saw my bike parked outside a church with no one around and it wasn't locked up. I looked closely at it to make sure it was indeed mine and had exactly the same ailments as my bike( crooked tire, squeaky seat, reflectors in the pedals that fall out). I was sure it was mine and that I had to make my decision quickly before someone saw me. I hopped on with my heart beating out of chest and rode that bike home. I now will definitely lock up my bike. I had this huge moral dilemma or whether it was OK to steal back something that was mine because technically it is still stealing. Obviously I already told you the choice I made but would you have made the same choice? Can you justify stealing if the thing had been stolen from you in the first place? To me it is kind of like do two wrongs make a right.? I've  thought and prayed about it since and I feel like it was OK for me to do that.  I was very unsure at the the time and felt some doubt and guilt but I feel OK with it now and I now have my bike back!

No comments:

Post a Comment